Saturday, August 15, 2009

iPhone Stylus


These things came out shortly after the release of the original iPhone, and I have been dying to try once ever since. Silly silly me. These styluses boast that they function due to what they call "electron transfer". That's really it for their descriptions. Basically, it's magic. I wish I could offer more insight to how this works, and I am throwing around the word "works" very loosely, but alas, I cannot. The only reason I purchased one of these is because I found one cheap enough on Amazon that if it didn't function, it wouldn't hurt my feelings.
From the moment I tried to use this, I realized that this is far from being a real stylus. I tried sliding the unlock button using about as much pressure as I would with a regular stylus, but nothing. Several swipes later, I realized that I basically had to jab the stylus at the screen to
get it to work. Vince's first words when trying it were, "This crap doesn't work!". I couldn't agree more.
Using the agility of a master clock maker, I managed to unlock the phone using the stylus. Next came the issue of selecting an app. A simple tap was not sufficient enough, far from it. Then came the aimless stabbing at the phone, but still nothing. Finally, I realized that I had to "roll" the rubber end of the stylus over and app to get it to select it. Not very effective, but it "worked".
Using the keyboard was just as unnerving. More strange rolling to select a letter, and even then, it was not always accurate. The typing speed decreases by so much it physically hurt my body and mind.
Alas, here comes it's final flaw. The rubber tip leaves some kind of strange residue all over the screen. It's nothing that a little wipe across the shirt won't fix, but who really wants to use a product that leaves gunk on another device?
I will give the stylus this, it does look good. It actually looks like it might actually be manufactured with a legitimate design. It also functions pretty easily on my MacBook Pro's trackpad, albeit, it still leaves a gray residue.
To sum it up, just stay away from these products. If the iPhone was intended to be used with a stylus, and not our fingers, Apple would have made the phone that way. But it's not. The iPhone's screen is very intuitive and intelligent, even for those with big fingers. Just stick to the original. Believe me, you'd regret purchasing this with actual American dollars.

1 comment:

  1. Not having seen this article in advance, I took a gamble and ordered a pair from a Hong Kong vendor on E-Bay for a buck each, shipping included. Don't laugh! I've had great success buying iPhone accessories for pennies from these sources, great if you just want a back up for the higher quality OEM version. But as you found out, these are simply metal tubes with a rubber tip, not the special conductive materials needed for a real touch screen stylus. This might be the single instance where it makes sense to buy the accessory at the Apple Store so you can take it back if it doesn't work. Note that there are DIY instructions on making a conductive stylus if you just have to have one.

    Nick

    ReplyDelete

HTML Comment Box is loading comments...